- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Hardware
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 05/09/2022
- Website: www.hydrogen.aero
- Company Address: , Los Angeles, CA
About Universal HydrogenUniversal Hydrogen is making carbon-free aviation a reality.
Do you have an inquisitive mind and enjoy creating solutions for complex problems? If so, our multidisciplinary team could use your expertise in aircraft modeling to develop revolutionary change within the aerospace industry. While the mission of Universal Hydrogen is simple - make the world a greener place - the solution has its challenges and we need a talented Senior Flight Dynamic Engineer to help us succeed. In this position, you will play a key role in the integration of hydrogen fuel cells and high-voltage megawatt-scale electric motors, for the first time in commercial aviation on the ATR72. You will help turn what was once theoretical into reality!
About the Role
- Support the implementation of our new products through the development cycle.
- Create aircraft-level flight dynamic models for our hydrogen fuel cell electric powertrain using disciplines such as stability, control, and weight & balance.
- Develop data to create aircraft level and sub-system requirements and architecture.
- Contribute and participate in design and safety reviews with multidisciplinary engineering teams.
- Proficiency in integrating results with aircraft loads and aerodynamic analysis.
- Demonstrated expertise with multi-body dynamics modeling, including moving control mechanisms.
- Working knowledge of structural mechanics and related dynamics.
- Proven experience in proposing and developing design solutions to ensure compatibility of the existing aircraft design.
- Background integrating new technologies and ensuring compliance with the basic ATR72 flight envelope.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation, equity participation for all employees, 100% coverage of healthcare costs, and dog-friendly offices. As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out childcare support, catered meals, green mobility support, and private pilot (PPL) training—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you!
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).