- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Hardware
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 05/24/2022
- Website: www.hydrogen.aero
- Company Address: , Los Angeles, CA
About Universal HydrogenUniversal Hydrogen is making carbon-free aviation a reality.
We are seeking a Senior Aerodynamics Engineer to join our rapidly growing team in Toulouse integrating a revolutionary hydrogen fuel cell electric powertrain for a zero emissions ATR72. You will play a key role in the integration of new technologies, including hydrogen fuel cells and high-voltage megawatt-scale electric motors, for the first time in commercial aviation on the ATR72. You will be working within a tight-knit and multidisciplinary team to rapidly iterate the design and testing of a challenging cooling system for the hydrogen fuel cell powertrain. The role offers an exciting opportunity for an individual to demonstrate creativity, problem solving, and innovative design solutions that will bring new life to the ATR72!
About the Role
- Create an aircraft level aerodynamic model for our hydrogen fuel cell electric powertrain.
- Select and standardize a CFD analysis toolchain for Universal Hydrogen.
- Perform CFD analysis for our hydrogen fuel cell electric powertrain cooling system.
- Provide aerodynamic loads data to our loads team.
- Conduct performance analysis of hydrogen-powered aircraft.
- Participate in system and hardware design and safety reviews.
- Demonstrated expertise in modeling and prediction of aircraft aerodynamics and performance.
- Experience analyzing internal flows in CFD and predicting cooling drag.
- Experience with one of the established CFD analysis tools. You will drive the specific selection of tools.
- Ability to work autonomously and define detailed work needed to meet global integration objectives.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and convey detailed technical concepts in a clear and concise manner.
- Flexibility and responsiveness in a fast-paced, dynamic, small team environment.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation, equity participation for all employees, 100% coverage of healthcare costs, and dog-friendly offices. As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out childcare support, catered meals, green mobility support, and private pilot (PPL) training—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you!
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).