- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Data Science
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 11/23/2021
- Website: Tomorrow.io
- Company Address: 25 Dorchester Ave, Boston, MA, 02127, US
About Tomorrow.ioTomorrow.io is the world's only Weather Intelligence Platform™. Fully customizable to any industry impacted by the weather, customers around the world including the NFL, Uber, Delta, Ford, National Grid and more use Tomorrow.io to dramatically improve operational efficiency. Tomorrow.io was built from the ground up to help teams predict the business impact of weather, streamline team communication and action plans, improve productivity, and optimize profit margins.
Tomorrow.io's R&D department is focused on building life changing software and products at scale, from infrastructure that handles massive amounts of data to outstanding customer-centric user experiences in B2B, B2C, and B2D products that change billions of lives worldwide. Every product that the user sees is the result of a pipeline of algorithms that needs to be run quickly and continuously. We focus on making everything become a weather station (from cars to microwave links to IoT devices).
We're looking for an experienced, highly motivated Senior Data Engineer, to design and create scalable, cost-effective, high quality, and easy to maintain data pipes that will support Tomorrow.io upstream system. Work with the other team members to find the best tools and approach to overcome the challenges.
As a Senior Data Engineer, You’ll Design, build, launch, manage and monitor new data models and business-critical ETL pipelines. Fully participate in the ownership of your services and components, including on-call duties. Take full ownership of your tasks like you are the only person in the company. From testing to performance.
What you’ll do:
- You’ll design, develop, and test robust, scalable data platform components
- Perform code reviews, design reviews, evaluate implementations, and provide feedback to fellow team members
- Help improve and automate the process by detecting inefficiencies, suggesting ways to improve and implement them
- Contribute to the company’s engineering culture, by implementing best engineering practices and a positive approach
- Plan your work, estimate the effort, provide due dates, and deliver on them
- Continuous learning and improvement process on each task
What you bring:
- You possess a can-do attitude. When tackling a problem, you think about how to solve it, before explaining why it’s complicated
- You are focused on execution, success is your top priority
- You have strong ownership of your deliveries. You are accountable for your work, and your work can be trusted, end to end
- 6+ years overall software development experience with at least 3+ years of experience with data engineering
- Proven, hands-on experience with ETL, data integration, and data management concepts, including packaged and/or cloud-native ETL applications such as AWS Glue, DataBricks, Xplenty, Talent, Informatica, etc
- Exceptional understanding and proven experience with RDBMS and SQL, with an emphasis on data warehousing, data modeling, data analytics, and performance tuning
- Thorough understanding of data integration approaches, including profiling, validating, and cleaning different types and formats large data sets
- Experience with workflow management/orchestration software such as Apache Airflow, Control-M, etc
- Cloud experience working with GCP Backend/data management and processing services such as BigQuery, BigTable, Cloud SQL, PubSub, GCS, Cloud functions, compute engines, auto-scale
- Proficient in Python, PL/SQL, Unix/Linux shell scripting. NoSQL experience is advantageous
- Experience building automated deployment pipelines for data infrastructure
- Understanding of CI/CD automation and willingness to learn new CD platform
If you have reached this point and you are super excited but not sure you check all the boxes - we still want to speak with you! Your passion is priceless. Other things can be learned.
Tomorrow.io is helping Countries, Businesses and Individuals better manage their Climate Security Challenges. Fully customizable to any industry impacted by the weather, customers around the world including Uber, Delta, Ford, National Grid and more use Tomorrow.io to dramatically improve operational efficiency. Tomorrow.io was built from the ground up to help teams predict the business impact of weather, streamline team communication and action plans, improve productivity, and optimize profit margins.
Space: In case you have not heard, we are also going to space with our Operation Tomorrow Space initiative. We are building the first-of-its-kind proprietary satellites equipped with radar, and launching them into space to improve weather forecasting technology for everyone on Earth.
How we roll: We work in an “one office” environment. We believe that magic happens when people work together. Together also includes Zoom meetings, flexible hours and unlimited vacation days. Your success is achieved by your impact and deliveries and not by the hours you put in. We believe in transparency and directness, putting work before ego and empathy. We grow fast and move faster but we always see people first. Each person has their own career growth path for we believe that the only way for the company to grow is if you grow.