- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Prod Mgmt/Dev
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 01/11/2022
- Website: www.hydrogen.aero
- Company Address: , Los Angeles, CA
About Universal HydrogenUniversal Hydrogen is making carbon-free aviation a reality.
This role presents a unique opportunity for you to grow and lead a substantial team working to deploy Universal Hydrogen’s unique hydrogen storage and powertrain in our core regional aircraft product application. As an Engineering VP, you will deputize for the CTO in addition to working with partners to deliver the first true zero emissions regional aircraft to market in 2025.
About the Role
- Responsible for developing a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) for the Dash 8-300 and ATR72 by 2025.
- Lead the development, ground, and flight testing of a prototype 2-MW powertrain in Q3 2022.
- Lead a team of talented engineers based in Los Angeles, and Toulouse, France.
- As the senior member of the Engineering team, you will deputize for the CTO whenever necessary.
- Work closely with partners to develop the key components and software necessary to certify the hydrogen fuel cell powertrain.
- An accomplished executive with a proven capability to lead and inspire a team.
- Track record of delivering ambitious projects on aggressive timescales.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing to your team, management, and customers.
- Have a strong engineering background, degree-level qualification, and significant experience in the development of complex systems, preferably in aerospace, and ideally in regional aviation.
- You should be open-minded and passionate about developing your team.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation and equity participation for all employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, dog-friendly offices, daily catered lunch (and healthy snacks), and unlimited paid time off (along with a mandatory end-of-year company shutdown). As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out a 401(k) plan with company matching contributions and company-sponsored flight training to get your private pilot’s license.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want you to have the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).