- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Prod Mgmt/Dev
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 01/11/2022
- Website: www.hydrogen.aero
- Company Address: , Los Angeles, CA
About Universal HydrogenUniversal Hydrogen is making carbon-free aviation a reality.
This role presents the opportunity for you to lead a team seeking to deploy Universal Hydrogen’s unique hydrogen storage and powertrain technology beyond our core regional aircraft applications. Working with a range of customers and investors you will have the opportunity to develop truly revolutionary applications of our technology which we believe will change aviation and other transport sectors forever.
About the Role
- Work with clients, partners, and investors to identify applications of Universal Hydrogen’s technology that will truly make a difference.
- Lead a team to develop and analyze solutions to applications which present a significant business impact and opportunity to decarbonize transport globally.
- Collaborate with partners to design applications of our technology to meet specific needs and solutions.
- Discuss with customers worldwide potential applications of our technology and highlight the benefits it can bring to new transport solutions.
- Work with the management of Universal Hydrogen to identify and prioritize the most promising ideas.
- Work directly with the Chief Innovation Officer to develop and promote potential future applications of UH2 technology.
- Engage with potential partners to identify potential applications for our existing technology in other aviation verticals (e.g., eVTOL’s) beyond regional aircraft.
- Determine whether and how UH2 storage and powertrain technology can be utilized in other transport sectors such as road and marine.
- Develop novel (generation N+1 and N+2) hydrogen storage and propulsion technologies, i.e., beyond our existing modular capsule technology and fuel cell-electric powertrain.
- Significant experience in vehicle conceptual design and sizing either for aircraft or other transportation modalities
- Self-motivated and creative to identify ideas and solutions that other people would not consider possible.
- Proven capability to lead and inspire small- and medium-size teams.
- You should have the ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing to your team, management and customers.
- Have an engineering background and degree level qualification giving you the ability to analyze complex engineering solutions.
- You should be open-minded and passionate about developing innovative solutions to impossible problems.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation and equity participation for all employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, dog-friendly offices, daily catered lunch (and healthy snacks), and unlimited paid time off (along with a mandatory end-of-year company shutdown). As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out a 401(k) plan with company matching contributions and company-sponsored flight training to get your private pilot’s license.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want you to have the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).