- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: IT
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 01/11/2022
- Website: www.hydrogen.aero
- Company Address: , Los Angeles, CA
About Universal HydrogenUniversal Hydrogen is making carbon-free aviation a reality.
We are seeking a Senior Manager - Systems Integration to join our rapidly growing team developing state-of-the-art modular hydrogen capsule technology and a fuel cell-electric powertrain for the world’s first zero-emissions regional airliner. You will be pioneering the integration of new technologies including hydrogen fuel cells and high voltage MW size electric motors for the first time in commercial aviation. You will be working with engineering, program management, the FAA and supplier teams to rapidly iterate the design and testing of a leading-edge hydrogen powertrain for aircraft, and playing a pivotal role in building a revolutionary propulsion system, hydrogen capsule technology, as well as a significant aircraft modification program.
About the Role
- Establish a systems engineering and product development process compatible with DO160 DAL A hardware and DO178 software, using model-based systems engineering and design methods where appropriate.
- Lead the selection and integration of the product development and V&V toolchain for the design of the powertrain.
- Lead a team of engineers responsible for our powertrain system from development through deployment. This includes building prototype powertrains of increasing power levels and conducting testing and analyses in support of the certification process.
- Engage with suppliers and partners (e.g., aircraft OEMs) to identify and resolve aircraft integration challenges and work through certification and regulatory requirements.
- Provide aircraft systems subject matter and safety expertise through development of best practices and principles, and mentorship of staff.
- Participate in system and hardware design and safety reviews.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or related discipline.
- Substantial experience in modern systems engineering practices, methods, and tools for complex systems, ideally aircraft.
- Previous experience leading engineering teams in the development of complex systems in aviation.
- Demonstrated proficiency in systems thinking, e.g., ability to leverage how the system, environment, and operation will influence the design, manufacturability, and performance of equipment under consideration.
- Ability to communicate clearly (written and orally) about technical subject matter with engineers and regulatory agencies.
- Flexibility and responsiveness in a fast-paced, dynamic, small team environment.
- Understanding of industry regulations and experience leading aircraft systems through the certification process is a plus, but not required.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation and equity participation for all employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, dog-friendly offices, daily catered lunch (and healthy snacks), and unlimited paid time off (along with a mandatory end-of-year company shutdown). As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out a 401(k) plan with company matching contributions and company-sponsored flight training to get your private pilot’s license.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want you to have the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).