- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Buying/Merchandising
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 09/21/2021
- Website: www.hydrogen.aero
- Company Address: , Los Angeles, CA
About Universal HydrogenUniversal Hydrogen is making carbon-free aviation a reality.
We are seeking a New Product/Development Buyer to join our rapidly growing team developing state-of-the-art modular hydrogen capsule technology and a fuel cell-electric powertrain for the world’s first zero-emissions regional airliner. You will be buying all the parts to support the integration of new technologies including hydrogen fuel cells and high-voltage, megawatt-class electric motors. You will be working with engineering and program management to rapidly deliver a leading-edge hydrogen powertrain for aircraft, a revolutionary propulsion system, hydrogen capsule technology, as well as a significant aircraft modification.
You will play a pivotal role in the purchasing for all hardware as well as handle all PO follow up across the entire company for flight related products. You will procure major machined parts and mechanical assemblies, electronic components, and electric motors, including program management of subcontracted assemblies and highly engineered technical products. You will work with engineers to assist with clear-to-build status, material coverage, and manage all reporting requirements.
About the Role
- Quote and procure low-volume, highly-technical parts for hydrogen storage modules and a fuel cell powertrain.
- Ensure engineering requirements, which may not be well-defined, are communicated to the supplier.
- Review, analyze, and manage purchase orders including milestones, and on time delivery.
- Ensure parts are received in the system (Procurify) and vendors are paid on time.
- Participate in competitive bidding, evaluate and analyze supplier quotations, striving for positive cost-saving/cost out results. Meet or beat negotiation objectives /targets with suppliers, documenting the results of negotiation(s).
- At least 5 years’ experience in sourcing, manufacturing, procurement, or supply chain management.
- Bachelors in Economics, Supply Chain, Finance, Engineering, or similar discipline.
- Strong knowledge of MRP/ERP with a solid understanding of discrete manufacturing, bills of material, product lifecycle management, procure-to-pay processes, and supply chain operations.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to evaluate and analyze data to enable operational decision-making or present clear recommendations to leadership.
- Passionate and high energy, with the diplomacy and cooperative style necessary to positively influence others, both inside and outside of UH2.
- A passion for sustainability.
- Ability to work independently on multiple tasks and projects in a dynamic, fast paced environment. Flexibility and adaptability are key.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).