- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Hardware
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 09/09/2021
- Website: www.hydrogen.aero
- Company Address: , Los Angeles, CA
About Universal HydrogenUniversal Hydrogen is making carbon-free aviation a reality.
We are looking for a prototype machinist. This is a rare, exciting opportunity to make a lasting impact in a lean engineering organization. We have a small, close-knit team working on new, exciting concepts for hydrogen storage. Our work environment is a fast paced iterative process and therefore you should be able to both program the machines and operate them. Our work environment is a combination of prototype experimentation and low-rate, high-end production. We will be simultaneously experimenting with one-off prototype methods on simple tooling setups and documenting and producing high-quality precision parts for our test articles. You should be comfortable in both roles and communicate well with engineering. There is little hierarchy and we value experience and innovation from all team members. If you’re the type of person who refuses to accept “because that’s how we’ve always done it,” and someone with an “I’ll figure it out” attitude, we want to hear from you
About the Role
- Programming CAM and operating Wacheon mill and Mighty Viper lathe
- Designing machining fixtures, tool paths and optimal tools for specific materials.
- Support of quality systems and process documentation.
- Be able to read 2D drawings and interpret basic Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Be able to use a CAM software package such as Mastercam, GibbsCAM or other professional software packages
- Understand your feeds and speeds for Steels and high strength alloys such as 316, Inconel and A286
- Be able to design and build your own tooling and fixturing for components and develop material removal and work holding approaches.
- Be comfortable with high tolerance parts, high quality surface finishes and knowledgeable about heat treat cycles for some alloys.
- Be comfortable using a FANUC controller on both a mill and a lathe
- Be able to work closely with engineering staff on reduced dimension drawings where critical areas of tight tolerance are called out and basic dimensions are derived from the CAD file
- Be open to working well with others in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).