- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Data Science
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 09/09/2021
- Website: Tomorrow.io
- Company Address: 25 Dorchester Ave, Boston, MA, 02127, US
About Tomorrow.ioTomorrow.io is the world's only Weather Intelligence Platform™. Fully customizable to any industry impacted by the weather, customers around the world including the NFL, Uber, Delta, Ford, National Grid and more use Tomorrow.io to dramatically improve operational efficiency. Tomorrow.io was built from the ground up to help teams predict the business impact of weather, streamline team communication and action plans, improve productivity, and optimize profit margins.
Tomorrow.io’s NWP scientists and engineers have decades of combined experience building and maintaining operational NWP systems. Our team’s diverse experiences and expertise allows us to quickly deploy a new customized model anywhere in the world and rapidly configure and optimize the model configuration to meet any customer’s forecast requirements. Tomorrow.io’s atmospheric models are highly flexible and customizable and, by design, are deployed to fill gaps that are inherent in other modeling systems. Tomorrow.io’s NWP modeling systems are developed with flexibility in mind from the start.
As an NWP Atmospheric Scientist Team Lead, You’ll lead the India-based NWP team running complex weather models across the world. The Atmospheric scientist Team Lead will be responsible for running Tomorrow.io’s Comprehensive Bespoke Atmospheric Model (CBAM) including model configuration, pre-launch verification, performance/cost benchmarking, operational launch and maintenance. Other responsibilities include general scientific leadership and support on various projects within the NWP team.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with the One Forecast Team to execute the unit’s R&D roadmap and continuously deliver improved weather forecasting tools and data products
- Contribute directly to experimentation, data processing, and validation/verification exercises critical to the ongoing evaluation and improvement of our weather forecasts.
- Coordinate and work with scientists and data scientists on the One Forecast Program Team to achieve the unit’s quarterly development and delivery goals
- Collaborate with and support the Andromeda / Engineering teams to operationalize and deploy improvements to our statistical forecasting system
- Take ownership of medium-range plans for building new weather forecasting and statistical / ML-augmented post-processing techniques
- Deliver the industry’s best weather forecasts and widens our competitive advantage in providing valuable weather intelligence for our clients.
What you bring:
- At least 3 years of technical/scientific leadership experience
- At least 3 years of project management experience
- M.S degree in atmospheric science, meteorology, environmental science, or closely related fields, with an emphasis on Numerical Weather Prediction
- Extensive experience with common geospatial data formats, including GRIB, NetCDF, and HDF5
- Mastery in Linux/UNIX environments and Shell Scripting (Bash etc.)
- Extensive experience with NWP models and data assimilation algorithms
- WRF, MPAS, FV3 etc.
- GSI, DART, WRFVAR etc. - 3DVAR, 4DVAR, EnKF and the likAt least 5 year of experience working with an NWP model such as WRF
- Extensive experience working with HPC systems with distributed computing
- Other Preferred
- Experience working with scientific Python — especially the core libraries widely used in the geosciences, including numpy, scipy, pandas, xarray, dask, and rasterio
- 3+ years experience running NWP models operationally (beyond academic research)
- 3+ years experience working in an operational setting
- Experience working on cloud computing systems, particularly Amazon Web Services (AWS) and/or Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
If you have reached this point and you are super excited but not sure you check all the boxes - we still want to speak with you! Your passion is priceless. Other things can be learned.
Tomorrow.io is helping Countries, Businesses and Individuals better manage their Climate Security Challenges. Fully customizable to any industry impacted by the weather, customers around the world including Uber, Delta, Ford, National Grid and more use Tomorrow.io to dramatically improve operational efficiency. Tomorrow.io was built from the ground up to help teams predict the business impact of weather, streamline team communication and action plans, improve productivity, and optimize profit margins.
Space: In case you have not heard, we are also going to space with our Operation Tomorrow Space initiative. We are building the first-of-its-kind proprietary satellites equipped with radar, and launching them into space to improve weather forecasting technology for everyone on Earth.
How we roll: We work in an “one office” environment. We believe that magic happens when people work together. Together also includes Zoom meetings, flexible hours and unlimited vacation days. Your success is achieved by your impact and deliveries and not by the hours you put in. We believe in transparency and directness, putting work before ego and empathy. We grow fast and move faster but we always see people first. Each person has their own career growth path for we believe that the only way for the company to grow is if you grow.