- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: IT
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 09/16/2021
- Website: lacuna.ai
- Company Address: 380 Portage Avenue, Palo Alto, CA, 94306
About LacunaLacuna makes open source transportation software adoption easy for cities. Founded in 2018, Lacuna Technologies is a services provider that helps transportation agencies better manage the public right-of-way. We operate open source systems in the service of cities and support transportation and public works agencies around the world in their goals to deliver mobility options that meet the varied needs of your residents while remaining technology neutral and avoiding vendor lock-in. We also support and actively participate in an open source software community focused on enabling modern urban mobility.
What We Do
At a time when cities are moving rapidly to stay in-step with the dramatic rate of changes in transportation spurred by private industry, cities are finding new ways to become more agile. Many cities also recognize this growing need for common interfaces, tools, and practices to better manage all forms of transportation and support the widest range of transportation technology providers.
Our team provides Digital Mobility Infrastructure Services, which includes the operation, integration, and support for open source systems in the service of transportation agencies and their goals. By providing services such as systems integration, security hardening, and 24/7/365 support, Lacuna helps cities more easily and readily leverage available open source mobility software - such as the Mobility Data Specification (MDS), the General Transit Feed Specification (GTFS), the General Bikeshare Feed Specification (GBFS), and emerging open mapping systems - to improve outcomes, reduce costs, and avoid vendor lock-in.
Our consultancy, Ellis & Associates, also provides Strategic Consulting and Technology & Program Delivery Services to help cities develop strategic plans around transportation technology and to deliver individual technology programs.
Modern mobility companies – like those operating rideshare, freight, drones and AVs – use digital tools for routing, scheduling, and even basic operations. Cities – which still use paper, signs and people to manage our roadways – have long struggled to keep up. This digital divide has created a quality-of-life crisis for cities and inconsistent, inefficient rules for mobility operators. Longstanding challenges like congestion, pollution, and inequities in access and safety are poised to get even worse.
Lacuna is the first company to bridge the gap between modern mobility companies and cities, building digital tools in open source that make it possible to create and enforce transportation policies digitally. We are a leading provider of digital tools that allow cities to create, communicate, and enforce dynamic transportation policies. Our equity-enhancing and privacy-preserving solutions give cities a full and reliable picture of how their roads and airways are leveraged so that they can create evidence-based policies to address congestion, pollution, access, safety and more. Lacuna paves the way for commercial operators to integrate their modern technologies into cities in a way that works for everyone long-term. Its wholly-owned consultancy, Ellis & Associates, works collaboratively to develop and deliver transportation technology strategic plans and programs, translating city priorities into real outcomes for the public good.
We are looking for a seasoned devops/platform engineer with experience in operating large-scale systems. As Lacuna grows to global scale, we will be dealing with issues involving multi-tenancy installations, managing customer SLAs, and staying ahead of a rapidly evolving platform.
You will be responsible for provisioning and managing both customer-facing production and development environments. As we take on new customers and grow our infrastructure, your goals will include refining our monitoring and alerting systems, helping migrate from a regional to an edge-based architecture, and improving our CI/CD pipelines.
How you'll have impact:
- Develop automation for provisioning a scalable, highly-available infrastructure for Lacuna's services and applications onto multiple cloud providers.
- Build monitoring and alerting to ensure quick response to issues, proactively respond by e.g. scaling resources to meet demand.
- Work with engineering in design decisions such as tool and library choices.
- Manage integrations of third-party services such as authentication providers.
- Troubleshooting and root-cause analysis of outages and other operational problems.
- Rapid development of skills in new technologies as needed.
- Use of software engineering tools such as source-control for managing infrastructure as code.
- Develop process and tooling for continuous integration and deployment of Lacuna's codebase.
- Participate in maintenance and development for any in-house open source software projects.
What you'll need:
- 5+ years of experience in a DevOps or Platform Engineer position.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience with Kubernetes container orchestration.
- Experience developing and provisioning highly-scalable, highly-reliable infrastructures.
- Strong writing skills - able to compose informative and actionable tickets, write quality documentation.
- Disciplined understanding of monitoring and alerting - know what's important while avoiding fatigue/overload in the on-call staff.
- Experience troubleshooting distributed systems.
- Experience working with continuous integration & deployment pipelines.
- Familiarity with some IaaS automation (CloudFormation, Terraform, et al).
- You should have a set of your favorite ad hoc automation tools, like shell pipelines.
Extra gold stars:
- Familiarity with authentication services (Auth0, AWS Cognito).
- Helm chart usage and development.