- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Hardware
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 06/16/2021
- Website: www.hydrogen.aero
- Company Address: , Los Angeles, CA
About Universal HydrogenUniversal Hydrogen is making carbon-free aviation a reality.
We are seeking a Senior Manager of Aircraft Certification to join our rapidly growing team developing state-of-the-art modular hydrogen capsule technology and a fuel cell-electric powertrain for the world’s first zero-emissions regional airliner. You will be working with design engineering, program management, and supplier teams to rapidly iterate the design and testing of a leading-edge hydrogen powertrain for aircraft, and playing a pivotal role in the design and certification of both a revolutionary propulsion system and a significant aircraft modification program.
About the Role
- Lead the aircraft certification program of hydrogen fuel-cell powertrain conversion supplemental type certificate (STC).
- Develop and implement certification processes and procedures necessary throughout the product life cycle. This includes conceptual design, requirements definition, compliance planning, implementation, and post-certification activities.
- Support the engagement with certification authorities to define the certification basis and means of compliance for the powertrain and aircraft modifications.
- Evaluate risks and opportunities. Assist the engineering team with implementing risk mitigation plans.
- Develop the aircraft certification plans with the engineering and program management teams and the authorities to meet the organization’s business objectives.
- Work with the engineering, program management, and supplier teams to oversee development of the powertrain and aircraft modification, assure the use of industry best practices, and assure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Prepare the final package for the showing of compliance and/or finding of compliance.
- Work experience with an aircraft OEM, primary supplier, or certification authority.
- Working knowledge of aircraft systems, engineering development, and test programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science or related discipline.
- Significant demonstrated experience in aircraft development, verification, and compliance finding activities.
- Demonstrated experience with aircraft development, verification, and compliance finding activities for safety-critical software used in airplane systems.
- Demonstrated experience leading FAA certification programs.
- An in-depth understanding of the appropriate FAA advisory materials, SAE standards, and RTCA standards.
- Experience as an FAA Designated Engineering Representative, Organization Delegation Unit Member, or TSO certification specialist is highly desired.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, highly-unstructured startup environment.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. Needless to say, we value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.