- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Software
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 06/08/2021
- Website: www.hydrogen.aero
- Company Address: , Los Angeles, CA
About Universal HydrogenUniversal Hydrogen is making carbon-free aviation a reality.
We are developing the first hydrogen fuel cell electric powertrain for large-scale commercial aviation. At the heart of this 2-4 megawatt powertrain (it’s BIG!) are the control algorithms for power and energy management—spanning our unique modular hydrogen storage technology, the hydrogen fuel cell, the electric motor, and all the auxiliary equipment such as air compressors, humidifiers, valves, and a sophisticated thermal management system, etc. In this role, you will be the lead software architect for this power and energy management and control system. You will also be the leader of our nascent embedded software development team, which you will be responsible for building, nurturing, and maturing.
About the Role
- Serve as lead software architect for a large-scale, high-assurance, embedded, real-time control system for energy and power management of a hydrogen fuel cell electric powertrain for commercial aircraft.
- Build and lead the embedded software development team, including (but certainly not limited to) organizational design, talent scouting, recruitment, mentoring, selection of tools, and the development of culture, processes, and best practices.
- Lead the selection and implementation of embedded computing hardware and communications/networking protocols.
- Serve as the cognizant authority for software verification and validation (V&V) to commercial aviation reliability, safety, and cybersecurity standards.
- Deep expertise in real-time embedded software architecture and development for high-assurance systems.
- Deep familiarity with and understanding of embedded computing hardware platforms and communications/networking protocols.
- Experience with development under the DO-178C (“Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification”) standard.
- Proficiency with the latest model-based development and V&V practices, including autocoding, formal verification methods, and proof-based methods.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead high-performing software development teams.
- Experience developing high-assurance systems in a startup environment is a significant plus.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and remote work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. Needless to say, we value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.