- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Hardware
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 06/08/2021
- Website: www.hydrogen.aero
- Company Address: , Los Angeles, CA
About Universal HydrogenUniversal Hydrogen is making carbon-free aviation a reality.
We are developing state-of-the-art hydrogen fuel cell electric powertrains for eVTOL and regional turboprop aircraft. The superior performance of these powertrains is achieved through the novel integration of its electric and aero-thermal systems. You will play a key role in translating the architecture into a detailed design, building and testing prototypes, and iterating on the design of the aero-thermal systems, in particular, and the powertrains in general.
About the Role
- Optimize the design of the aero-thermal systems for the powertrain with a particular focus on component selection and sizing, and novel integration with other electric and aero-thermal systems for overall aircraft performance and efficiency.
- Build/source and test (including developing testing protocols for) prototype aero-thermal systems.
- Identify, select, and work with suppliers, and provide technical guidance during development and manufacture.
- On an ongoing basis, identify the ways in which components and systems might be improved, and then develop and deploy these improvements.
- Deep working knowledge of thermodynamics and the aero-thermal properties and mechanics of fluids (gases, liquids, multi-phase, mixed fluids).
- Experience in the design, development, manufacture, and sourcing of aero-thermal systems such as compressors, heat exchangers, and turbines.
- Familiarity with aero-thermal 1D codes for component sizing and computational fluid dynamics for detailed analysis (e.g., ANSYS, STARCCM+).
- Fluency with system, computational fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics analysis, design, and simulation software (e.g., Modellica, NPSS).
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and to convey detailed technical concepts in a clear and concise manner.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and remote work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. Needless to say, we value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel