Joby Aviation is currently fully staffed for this position. However, as the company expands we will be looking to recruit additional flight testers. Further recruiting is nominally planned for late 2019. We are always looking for high quality people, and so applicants who meet the minimum requirements are encouraged to submit applications, and we will retain your resume on file for future reference. Additionally, we are currently looking for high quality Junior Flight Test Engineers. For the right applicant, a path does exist to progress from the Junior Flight Test Engineer position into the Senior Flight Test Engineer role.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate and driven Senior Flight Test Engineer to join our flight test team. This role requires a wide range of knowledge and skill that includes developing detailed flight test plans for experimental CTOL/VTOL fly-by-wire aircraft, executing testing as a Test Director, test data analysis, flight test simulator development and oversight of junior Flight Test Engineers. The role involves planning and execution of both development and certification flight testing. Flight test at Joby Aviation is very fast-paced, and we are looking for an individual who can take charge of a small team, work with system designers to develop test procedures, and deal with frequently changing test scenarios. Previous experience and/or training as a Flight Test Engineer is essential. Near-term flight testing is planned to be conducted from a remote location; applicants must be willing to spend regular time away from home.
- Develop a test program to strategically expand the envelope and capabilities of our vehicles from experimental development through certification flight test
- Perform flight test planning, flight readiness reviews, flight briefs/debriefs, act as test director during test execution and perform post flight data analysis
- Work with our simulation team to expand our flight simulator capability and fidelity
- Complete all required documentation in accordance with established company and FAA procedures
- May perform launch and recovery tasks of aircraft which include ground operations, preflight items, ground observer responsibilities, and post flight items
- May help develop flight manuals and supporting documentation necessary to operate the vehicles
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices
- Other duties as assigned or required
- FTE graduate of a recognized test pilot school, or equivalent on the job learning experience.
- A minimum of 5 years experimental flight test experience as a Flight Test Engineer, preferably including VTOL flight test, or in a civil certification environment
- Bachelors of Science (Aerospace, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering) degree or equivalent experience and training
- Excellent computer skills – proficiency with day to day applications used for email, word processing, etc, as well as data analysis experience using Matlab, Python, or similar.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with colleagues across a wide range of technical disciplines
- Must be able to work both independently and on a team and be able to work extended hours and travel as required
- Read and speak English proficiently
- Fixed Wing and / or Rotorcraft Private Pilot License
- Data analysis experience using Matlab, Python or similar