Remember stories about passengers being angrily removed from flights because the airline oversold them? You solve that problem, and in the process have the potential to radically transform the $800 billion worldwide aviation industry.
Here's some recent news coverage about us and the programs we power: http://volantio.com/press/
As part of our growth, we’re seeking a VP of Engineering to join our leadership team. Your broad responsibilities will fall into 3 core areas:
- You will be expected to recruit, develop, and grow Volantio’s engineering team, serving as a coach and a mentor (currently 7 team members, projected to grow to ~15 within the coming year)
- Set clear expectations for team members: solicit, synthesize and deliver feedback.
- Set and track goals, coach and inspire engineers to promote professional growth and cultivate high engagement
- Evaluate team member performance (both informally and formally), and recommending specific actions (e.g. salary changes, promotion, exit, etc...)
- Work with the leadership team to create an exciting and supportive team culture
- Foster a culture of innovation and promote engineering best practices across teams
- Set a high bar for engineering efforts across teams to ensure excellence in development efforts
- At the highest level you will be expected to set aggressive but achievable goals for the engineering organization and deliver against those goals
- Identify and remove any roadblocks that are hindering your team
- You'll ensure your team delivers extraordinary output, and continuously seeks ways to make an outsized impact
- Report sprint progress and provide estimates to drive timely product releases
- Work closely with the VP of Product to create a roadmap integrating both product releases and technical projects
- Work closely with the Chief Technology Officer with respect to ensure the engineering team’s work is aligned with the broader technology roadmap
- Partner effectively with the rest of the business to manage scope and deliverables
- Lead cross-functional communication across all lines of business by communicating critical technical challenges to non-technical business members to ensure alignment
- Work with key stakeholders to evaluate and prioritize roadmap initiatives.
- Occasionally represent Volantio at industry and commercial events
- 4+ years of experience in engineering management
- Demonstrated track record to recruiting, training, leading, and and professionally developing high-performance engineering teams
- Ability to motivate your team, sometimes beyond even what is considered possible
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively technical and non-technical audiences including those at the senior leadership level
- Ability to meet deadlines, define timetables, balance multiple priorities, and manage parallel projects to completion
- Great communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Mastery of agile methodologies
- Expertise in engineering best practices
- Understanding of budgets and business-planning
- Prior expertise as a software or infrastructure engineer
Volantio is a small, fast-moving start-up with operations globally and a growing team.
The successful candidate will receive a compensation package that will include a competitive salary, equity, and generous benefits (health, dental, vision, FSA).
Technologies We Use
- AWS, Terraform, Kubernetes
- Python, Django, Celery
- Postgres, Redis, Hashicorp Vault
- React, TypeScript, webpack