Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate mechanical engineer to join our growing Thermal team. This individual would be responsible for designing the air ventilation system—including air ducting, vents, intakes and exhausts etc. This role will involve design work starting at the conceptual level through full modeling and FEA analysis and continue into manufacturing. Familiarity with fluid dynamic principles is also desired, as is experience with passenger thermal comfort. This position is rewarding, as the engineer will promptly see their work implemented on real-world applications due to the fast pace of Joby Aviation.
- Layout and mechanical design of cabin thermal comfort system (HVAC).
- Packaging of HVAC systems within existing aircraft layout.
- Design of complicated mechanisms, linkages, actuators, etc.
- Direct communication with vendors and technicians in manufacturing.
- Rapid prototyping of conceptual designs.
- Optimize engineering design for customer experience.
- BSc. in mechanical engineering or another relevant discipline.
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills.
- Experience in CATIA (V5 or V6) part design and surfacing.
- Proficiency in mechanical design, materials selection, kinematics, troubleshooting, and analysis.
- Experience with hands-on design and testing, building and debugging hardware.
- Solid understanding of aerodynamic and thermal fundamentals.
- MEng in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
- 2+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Rapid prototyping experience.
- HVAC system design experience.
- Experience with CATIA V6, specifically using Generative Shape Design, Part Design, and Assembly Design.
- Critical eye for customer thermal comfort in real life scenarios.
- Automotive or Aeronautical industry experience.