This engineer will play a key role in a small, fast-moving team and participate in architecture, design, and implementation of motor control systems within our electric-powered, fly-by-wire aircraft. This engineer will work closely with the hardware, mechanical, integration, and flight testing teams to design, develop, test and improve system-level behaviors.
- Sensorless control of permanent magnet torque motors; including inverter advanced modulation, position and velocity estimation, current control, fault detection, and efficiency optimization.
- Closed loop position control of permanent magnet servo systems; including redundant position sensors and multi-phase motors controlled from separate servo drives.
- Optimization of motor controls using MATLAB Simulink with hand coding capability
- Assure inverter and motor systems meet performance requirements via controls algorithm development, implementation and testing
- Oversee dynamometer testing and interpretation of data for controls development, validation and improvement
- Tuning and calibration of complete systems on dynamometers, on test stands, and on the aircraft.
- Unit-tests for build environment, sub-system validation testing, integration testing, flight testing, software in the loop testing
- University degree in computer science, computer engineering, or electrical engineering
- At least 2 years full time industry experience
- Expert knowledge of Sensorless torque control and closed loop position control
- Expert knowledge of MATLAB Simulink for controls development
- Knowledge of real time bare-metal firmware development
- knowledge of object-oriented programming methodology and multi-layered system architectures
- knowledge of multi-threaded systems
- Experience with basic electronics debugging tools: oscilloscope, logic analyzer, power analyzer
- Experience with modern integrated development environments and debuggers
- Basic understanding of version control technologies
- Exposure to other languages such as: python, C#, C, SQL