Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate thermal engineer to join our growing team. The position requires a strong understanding of heat transfer and heat exchangers theory. The applicant is expected to have hands-on experience designing, analyzing, and testing thermal systems. Familiarity with internal flow CFD is also desired. This position is rewarding, as the engineer will promptly see their work implemented on real-world applications due to the fast pace of Joby Aviation.
- Define and formalize aircraft thermal environments in various flight regimes.
- Formally identify thermally critical areas and design cooling strategies.
- Leverage low-fidelity methods to perform quick sizing of thermal systems.
- Design or select heat exchangers and mechanical components of the thermal system.
- Create detailed FEA and CFD models to analyze thermal performances.
- Generate test procedures, create prototypes, and perform experimental validation.
- Produce supporting documentation for FAA aircraft certification.
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or another relevant discipline.
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills.
- 2+ years hands-on experience performing detailed thermal design and testing for aircraft or other vehicles.
- Solid understanding of heat transfer and heat exchangers.
- Experience with thermal CFD and FEA.
- Good knowledge of mechanical systems and CAD.
- Comfortable with analysis tools such as MATLAB and Excel.
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline.
- 5+ years of working experience in relevant industry.
- Hands-on experience working within aircraft certification programs.
- Strong knowledge of FAR 23 and 27.
- Experience optimizing heat exchangers in a mass-constrained environment.
- Expertise working with data acquisition systems (DAQ).
- Complete understanding of aircraft thermal systems.
- Proficiency with CAD (CATIA), CFD (STAR-CCM+), and FEA (Abaqus) software.
Please include a cover letter with your application.